Friday, February 11, 2011

Life of Solitude??

Reading Thoreau's Walden is definitely an interesting experience. I actually read the majority of it for a 19th Century American Literature class last year. The fact that Thoreau was able to give up most of his life and go live in a cabin in the woods for a year would definitely be more difficult for people living in our world today. Even giving up our cell phones for more than a day or so is sometimes difficult. I'm sure many of us have experienced the sort of panic when you realize you've left your cell phone at home or when your battery is dead. I don't think I would be able to do it. It would definitely be harder, but possibly more interesting to see someone attempt to do the same thing today. Overall, technology is much more present in our lives today than it was in Thoreau's life. In reading Feed, it shows what our dependence on technology could one day become. Hopefully, we do not get to that point someday, but it is always a possibility.

6 comments:

  1. Language especially, I feel, is definitely moving in the "Feed" direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I have had that panic feeling when leaving my cell phone at home which is sad to think. I also agree with you about how it would be much more difficult today to give up a whole year of technology since we depend on it so much. Its scary to think that Feed is showing us the possibility of what could happen to us in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's bad to panic when you leave your cell phone at home. There could be an important conversation going on and missing it could mean bad things. This is how I've felt the last 5 days without my phone. I know that nothing too important was going on this weekend but just the fact of not knowing was driving me crazy. It's ridiculous to think of a world without cell phones, it's part of todays culture, we're not going to get away from them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with the feeling of panic. I lost my phone once, so I was "phoneless" for two days, and it was the most awful two days ever. I know that sounds so pathetic, but it is true. I didn't know what was going on, and I felt so left out, not being able to text or talk to my friends and family for two days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you have said in this blog. I freak out when I do not have my phone for like 10 minutes, or cannot look at it during class when I know I have a text message waiting. I like my cell phone and do not think I could live without it for longer then a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree with you. I hate when I leave my cell phone at home even when I'm just going to class and don't even need it. I think reading Thoreau's whole book would be interesting to see more about his experience.

    ReplyDelete