Saturday, April 9, 2011

What Do You Mean No More Books?!?!

I for one can honestly say that I would miss books if they were all gone. I became an English major for a reason, I've always enjoyed reading books, and can't imagine what my life would be like without them. I feel like I'm pretty much always reading something. Most of the time it's something for classes, but I try to find time to read for enjoyment and relaxation as well. It's scary to think about a world without books, even the electronic kind.

Everyday we are "burning" books by censoring them in schools or in other areas. If a book is a banned book or anything like that, we are essentially, burning the books for those that might have found use in reading it themselves. We also burn books by ignoring them and their importance in our lives.

Books and language exist as ways to pass down our culture and history from generation to generation. If we didn't have books, parts of our history would definitely be lost. I know from reading Fahrenheit 451 in the past many times (it's one of my favorites), that people begin to resist the book burning by memorizing literature and finding their own ways to pass it on. I've always thought about what I would memorize to pass on to others.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you, I would miss books if they were gone. I never thought about how they are a way to pass down history or our culture. That is very true. It would be scary to lose all of that. I've never thought about what I would memorize to pass onto others but its probably something that most of us should think about.

    ReplyDelete